Allow filtering on public boards

Hello guys! I have a really large list of documents on infinity which I made public so that people can easily search for the documents they need. Is there any way to allow filtering on the views, even if it’s not saved? I don’t want to give people permission to edit items or add new items, but it would be nice if they could make their own filters so they can search documents by its attributes.

Maybe one option would be to have the option to allow public users to edit views, but then the edits disappear when they close the browser or something.

Work around is to create a user, call it public user for that project or set of projects that you then just share the login details on.

Means you can control it as if it was a normal user, because basically it is.

Public boards, really would only consider those as ideal use case where you are embedding it into a website for information … if people need to use it to a level that requires filtering, think in the concept they are considered more than a casual public user so the function has not been provided.

3 Likes

Thanks for the workaround. I’ll try this.

But I do not agree that you don’t need the filter function in public boards. For example in the infinity roadmap I’d love to have it as well as in a book catalogue I provide.
So for me it’s basic function for public boards with more than 20 items.

1 Like

Kind of agree, although taking the view that Infinity has to be cost viable & which functions should be for actual named/assigned users & which are for public non-users is a sensitive topic.

There is an issue for Infinity where people may be using public boards to avoid creating user accounts & taking a user allocation out of their package allocation, thus evading fees & being on the package level that is appropriate for their usage.

We all want low cost, but the platform does need to be financially viable otherwise it would cease to exist, or stop being developed due to financial constraints, so revenue generation is something that does need to be factored in.

Sure, infinity needs to sustain itself financially and I support that! But your workaround creating a “public” user sharing the login would allow kind of “extra users” without paying for anyway.
As I have unlimited users I can say: the UX e.g. in infinity’s public roadmap sucks no matter how many users I can create. (at least for me)

It was lol … but would still at least take one user allocation out of somebodies package & kind of throwing a bone to the complainer’s … as particularly remember one user wanted or was expecting about 10k users to view public board & wanted searching … which you kind of thing, if you have 10k users then thats not really the scale that the small packages are aimed at, being that Infinity will also be paying for AWS server resources to run the searching/filtering.

We are also on the corporate package with unlimited users, as we are on one of the higher tiers, but do wonder sometimes how far somebody expects $99 to stretch.

Having seen a number of other types of platforms & packages become unsustainable & cease operations, is something aware of.

To note for comparison … we are a sole employee company, working on each project over about 6 months with maybe 5 others to collaborate with.

We went in for the unlimited user corporate package as we saw the potential of Infinity, but also wanted assurance of what our ongoing costs would be if we were to expand or just give user accounts out to occasional users so they had ability to view or comment (if they bothered … but were invited so we would of done our bit).