Auto Incrementing Number

Greetings,

One feature of Trello that my Team considers a must have is the ability for the application to auto increment some kind of identifying number. At a minimum it would be an Item #1, Item #2, Item #3 etc etc type of setup. What would be great is if a Board could have a configured prefix so my board of “My Fabulous Board” could have a prefix of “My” then the numbering scheme would be My-1, My-2, My-3, etc etc.

Is there anything like this in the pipe? Could there be?

Thank you,
Paul

3 Likes

+1!

It should be human-readable, like @paul.marshall suggests , not a huge robotic key.

Agreed. Card numbering is essential. We’re considering a move here from Trello. Just one of our project boards has over 700 cards… some sort of automated card numbering is essential, even if it just displays (readonly) the Id of the card.

1 Like

Hey guys!

Thanks for bringing up this.

We can add it to our roadmap. I’ll make sure to include it in one of the next brainstorming sessions (probably on Monday), and we might have an estimate for that.

Thanks all for your input, we find this feature useful, as well.

+1 This is a great suggestion, customisable auto numbering attribute can be a good field to show for referenced records.

1 Like

Any update on this item? We’ve made the move to Infinity from Trello and right now we have a separate sheet we maintain tying a “Card Number” to a Card in Infinity. It would be great if Infinity had it’s own Auto Increment Number. Maintaining a separate sheet of Numbers and Card Links is a pain just so someone can say “For Card 5 I need this updated…”

Hey Paul!

First of all, thank you very much for putting your trust and time into our product!

After a short conversation with our CTO, our suggestion for now is to create a separate attribute in Infinity (ex. ‘Text’ or ‘Number’ whose name would be ‘Card number’), and write down your unique card numbers.

That’s just for now, in order for you not to check the sheet every time you need a Card Number, and until we build ‘Auto Incrementing Number’ feature. Damir considers it as a medium priority task/feature, which might be built during the month. :slight_smile:

Hope this was helpful.

2 Likes

I have been using a trail of infinity today. And this was actually one of the first things i tried, then looked for in help. Its been 1 year since this was submitted it looks like. Any Update?

1 Like

Any update on this feature request yet? This is an important one for me as well when dealing with a large number of team members, and even bigger volume of tasks.

1 Like

Hey guys,

I’ve added this request to our roadmap. It’s not a priority feature at the moment, but since it is easy to add, it could be done soon.

Here’s a link: https://app.startinfinity.com/b/NT8hFqSBqwx/xgjYzqVcL1U/83b79fa0-e6a9-4b42-b48f-de2cf879577c

Please vote and share your thoughts in the comment.

Any update on this feature - Its seems an basis and obvious emission which is really needed.

Hello @simon! Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, this request is still in the Planning stage. This means that we definitely plan to add it in the future, but sadly it’s not a top priority yet.

It’s quite unfortunate that this is not on your priority.
For a small team, this might be OK. But, for larger teams, specially if you want Software Development teams to adopt the platform to manage their daily work, this is a necessity.
In the absence of this, we still have to continue using multiple platforms to complete our workflow.

Hi @awaley

Thank you for your honesty Awaley.

Hopefully after we developer our automations ( ‘if this, then that’, ‘reminders’ and 'recurring items), which are currently our top priority - together with some other features in the “doing” column, we’ll be able to see some of the features (like “auto incrementing number”) that are currently in the “planning stage” advance forward to our other stages.

I would encourage everyone to vote for it (if you haven’t already), as that will give as a clear indication of how necessary and important this feature is for everyone.