Cross referencing tables - cumbersome

Currently if one chooses a field (column) to be a reference it seems to go through all _name columns in all folders. Thus when using the company project management overview, for example, when clicking on project phase one has to scroll through Current Tasks as Well As Phase. See attached.

It would be useful if the folder and column can be defined as the (cross) reference so that it is then easier to add new rows / add information.

As it stands, in the example given, one must scroll through the contents of two different folders (seemingly the first column only).

Thus standard database functionality to cross reference tables with a view to decreasing how much data one needs to add and to stay consistent, though there, is currently a bit cumbersome. This gets important with larger databases where one has perhaps a table for contacts, one for companies, one for projects, one for invoices, etc. all linked together by, for example company.

Its a start though.

Hi @birgli, we appreciate your opinion.

We understand that larger databases will bring a lot more data, therefore there is something that can come in handy. You can type in /foldername (the name of your older) into the search bar in order to narrow down your search a bit. This can significantly help you to get the right information and make cross referencing a lot less cumbersome at the moment.

We have identified that cross referencing needs a lot more work and we are really looking forward to upgrading it in the near future.

If you havenā€™t already, feel free to take a look at our Public Roadmap and vote for features and improvements you deem important. It means a lot to us to hear your voice so we can better understand what our community needs the most.

I hope that this was helpful, I wish you a great day!

1 Like

Thanks. Will take a look.

Does your suggest approach work when setting up cross-linked databases? I am still working on how to set a few up along the line of some of your templates such as ā€œthe company project planā€.

Best,
Charles

Hello @birgli, if by ā€˜my suggested approachā€™ you mean narrowing down the search by typing /foldername, then yes absolutely, you can use it whenever you work with Reference.

Let me know if you meant something else, Iā€™d be glad to clarify further. :slight_smile:

Seems to work. getting better at it.

1 Like

Jovana I couldnā€™t find anything related to this on the Roadmap. Is there somewhere we can vote it up?

Helo @brettj, this functionality is on our roadmap in the ā€˜To Doā€™ column, which means we are almost ready to start working on it. You can see this functionality and vote for it here: https://app.startinfinity.com/b/NT8hFqSBqwx/xgjYzqVcL1U/e81b734e-17d7-430e-b2d0-f7717fcb4ec0

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @Jovana. Appreciated.