One of the biggest challenges with airtable is calculating data between rows, especially when trying to work on say a rolling total.
The process to make such calculations requires advanced technical ability and requires additional supporting fields to help, and then end result is still manual:
- Link the records
- Retrieve data from linked records
- Copy data to a plain field with no references (as if you have the formula refer to linked data in the same field it causes a circular reference stop error that prevents you from proceeding further)
- Calculate that value with the value of the actual record it is on.
I feel sick just thinking about it. This can be achieved so easily in excel, A simple SUM() formula.
What i am hoping for is a way of referencing the data in the attribute immediately above or below it in the view, or the attributes for all visible records in the view, or a way of building a raw query in the attribute, to retrieve a very specific bit of info.
I want the ease of excel formula with the power of a drag and drop database
Use cases like:
- Retrieve the data where the date and time is the oldest
- Calculate a rolling value for all sales throughout the day