Questions About Views

Hello, brand new user here. Questions:

1. As far as I can see, the only way to create what I would call a “saved view” is to create a dedicated tab for it?

2. And even that is not a “saved view” in any traditional sense? Meaning that the moment any user modifies that tab, they modify it for every single other user?

3. So there is no way for example for one user to choose to group items in a tab one way, while another user groups the items in the same tab another way?

If I am correct in these things, that seems incredibly limiting for a team product, it means you’d have to have different tabs for every single user, if users wanted to view things in a way they prefer, without changing every other users view. I hope I am missing something because in every other respect the program seems near perfect.

Thank You

Hi @David-2!

Welcome to the crew! :slight_smile:

That is the case, live changes/updates on a single view are live for each user if something is modified.

However, if you have a structure in View A, and someone modifies the data, the structure/customization and configuration won’t change in View B.

But I like to think about it this way: Views are an extra option for users to have more creativity and freedom to see the data organized in multiple ways (using different customization options, configurations like filter, group, etc).

I don’t see how could this be limiting for a team product, as there could be a couple of ‘Master Views’ combining multiple views (Columns, Table, Calendar), and then there could be extra, individual views for members (which could be named after their names, such as Coa’s Columns, Alex’s Table, etc).

Are we on the same page?

Hi Coa,

Yes we are on the same page. I am coming from Airtable which works more like what I am used to and would prefer. For instance in Airtable we can have what Infinity refers to as a View/Tab, but it’s just a table. And then we can create whatever saved views we want for that specific table, which can be chosen via a drop down selector. So we could have “group by user”, “group by priority” and so on. 10 different views if we wanted.

And every user could be simultaneously using completely different views. Now to accomplish that same thing with Infinity I would need to create 10 different tabs, which will get very busy very fast if we also want Kanban, simple views etc.

And then on top of it as you say, we’d have to create a dedicated view for each user so they are not changing views for everyone else. So TBH I think airtable works much better in this regard.

However that said, i don’t see this as a huge issue. Infinity has many other features that I find far more important and useful that airtable does not have. So we will easily adapt to this new view paradigm.

I really like the idea of a dropdown menu for personal views if you have too many views. But at least when keyboard shortcuts are implemented for changing tab like in a browser I would prefer tabs.
Maybe there could be a “customize” filter, like for the attributes in table view, where you can hide views.

1 Like

I too like the idea of a dropdown menu like @micck suggested - as opposed to 15 plus tabs in a row for instance - as a way to facilitate a large amount of views. This beats having to do a visual scan of a long row of tabs.

Especially if out of a dropdown menu of many views - say 15 - we could configure which and how many of them - say 6 for instance - display in the row of tabs. The other 9 views would then be hidden from the row of tabs, but they would still display in the dropdown menu. This would give us the flexibility to set and change which views display in the row of tabs and which are hidden, while having quick access via the dropdown menu to the hidden views.

Of course the name we assign to a view’s tab, would also be that view’s name in the dropdown menu.

1 Like

Hey @David-2,

I know how Airtable works. :slight_smile:

And my suggestion was going towards a direction to focus more on folders and subfolders.

So don’t create 10 different tabs: create 10 different subfolders, for example.

A great tip would be to then, use a ‘parent folder’ to combine the data from all the 10 subfolders.

A good hack or a solution would be to duplicate the initial folder, for example (and create subfolders). You can duplicate it with or without the items. So the structure will remain the same.

Would you love to sit down for a quick call to cover all of these? I want to make sure you get the most out of the value we offer from our structure/hierarchy system (which we believe is really flexible). :slight_smile:

Hi Coa,

Thank you so much for that generous offer. Let me mull over your suggestion and if I feel the need to a call I will let you know. We are not having a hard time adapting so it is not an urgent issue at this point :-).

Thanks,

David

1 Like

Also, as you suggested, I have found great value in the ability to set parent folders to display the information from subfolders - that gives us a lot of options. That is something I have long thought should be an option with any OS or program that implements folders.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the energy you’re putting to build your way through and adapt!

Just wanted to let you know: I’m there for you :slight_smile:

Don’t hesitate to ping me.

Cheers.

Hi Coa!

Here I am 3 years later pleading again for a better way to manage a large numbers of views :slight_smile:. I do not see folders as suggested earlier solves this in any way, if it does I am certainly willing to get on that phone call with you if the offer still stands.

Below is an example of a setup in airtable. Our “master record” for what we track on a project now includes about 20 different views. Now if the same item could exist in 20 different folders (without being duplicates), folders might be a great solution. But since that is not possible to my knowledge, I don’t see how multiple folders help.

As our views apply to equipment which is going to include attributes relevant to all 20 views. That would mean you would have to have duplicates of every item in every folder in order for folders to enable more views, no? 20 times the work or probably actually 200 times considering how much time it would take to have to update the duplicate items every time there was a change, instead of updating one item.

Now if were were talking about separate projects, and we were using let’s say a single folder to track 10 projects using labels so we could create separate views for each project, than that would make sense to get rid of the project label and just use a subfolder for each project.

Am I missing something? I really really want to move from airtable!

Thanks!

Here is another use case example. We have a database that we use to track about 50 categories of electronic components by manufacturer. Of course many manufacturers make components in several of the categories. This is easily tracked using a multi-selection label. So for example one manufacturer may make:

• Power Controllers
  • Receivers
  • Speakers
  • Subwoofers
  • and about 46 more…

And we want to be able to have views which instantly filter for each category using the multi-selection label. But 50 tabs is just so overwhelming. If we cannot have side filters, a simple drop-down would make this so much easier to manage.

Just trying to explain our use case :slight_smile: Thanks!