Reference attribute = key field?

Hey @coa,

I started using the instructions from the video you posted above to set up Back-reference. My use-case is setting up leads to follow task cards in the Tasks folder, and organizing their various subtasks in the Subtasks folder.

As you did in the template shown in the video, I use the Checklist attribute on the task cards to number, track and check off each subtask as it’s completed. Since the checklist is situated right above the sequentially ordered subtasks, it’s extremely helpful in getting a quick visual of where I am in their sequence.

I also include numbers with the subtask’s descriptions on the table in the Subtasks folder, so they visually coincide with the numbered checklist on the task cards in the Tasks folder, and I need to see them in order - so the card appears as such:

Subtask 1 - 0/0/20

Subtask 2 - 0/0/20

Subtask 3 - 0/0/20

Subtask 4 - 0/0/20

1. On 2/11/20 send initial follow up email…

2. Update that initial follow up email sent in…

3. Update action progress update in…

4. If no response received by 2/18/20 note when to send second follow up email…

When I complete a subtask I check it off the checklist and change the date to record its completion date.

This is (was) working extremely well for tracking and staying on top of the sequence of details during the process of following up leads.

The problem is, the sequence of Back-reference subtasks do not predictably retain their numbered sequential arrangement when displayed on the task card. It appears that their sequence rearranges when changes are made to subtasks in the Subtasks folder, and possibly from simply refreshing the page. I don’t see a clear pattern for why their order changes.

This is a big problem because - needless to say - there is sequence of steps in following a lead (and many other task processes). Not being able to reliably see the ordered sequence of subtasks consistently display on the task card is quite frustrating; especially when just above them the ordered sequence of the checklist is intact and clear. It kills the benefit of being able to predetermine a sequence of subtasks.

After the subtasks lose their order, so far the only way I’ve found to reorder them is to:

1. Remove each subtask one at a time from the Subtasks folder’s table via cut and paste, and save them on a .txt doc so I don’t lose them.
  2. Delete each row of the table.
  3. Then build the table from scratch again by adding a new row one at a time and - before adding the next row - copy and paste the subtask in sequential order back into it.

This is very time consuming and inefficient, and there’s no assurance they’ll stay in sequence. The alternative is to leave the subtasks in whatever random sequence they end up in, which isn’t preferable.

I noticed in the video that the 5 subtasks you created are not in the same sequence on the task card as the are they are on the table in the your Subtasks folder.

It’s even more problematic when a task has many subtasks. I’m hoping this is not a by design, but just an oversight or a bug that needs fixing.

Can the team please change and/or fix it?!

2 Likes

I agree! It is annoying to have to scroll through anything with a client or job name each time instead of being able to tell it which table you want it to get it from!

1 Like