Reference Across Boards

I currently use Podio, in which we can reference items across folders, boards, and workspaces.

This allows me to stack up invoices, contractors, project leads, clients, and then relate them to projects in different spaces. Airtable will not let you do it, and right now I’m not seeing that Infinity will either.

I WANT to switch from Podio, because it has some real limitations. But universal linking is AWESOME and provides such functionality. So right now I don’t see being able to replicate that.

Please consider!

Hi @ben.tomlin to our Communiy!

I remember something about plans to link items from different boards in the same workspace but @coa from the team will definitely tell you more.

1 Like

Welcome @ben.tomlin! I think there are many of us here who agree that this is an important feature and it is supposed to be coming in some form. For now, the reference attribute might get you started. It doesn’t work across boards but does work within the same board. For that, you would look into utilizing the folder structure to house info rather than separation by boards.

A couple similar threads here to follow. How to link an Item inside of another Item? and How are Items/Folders/Boards/Workspaces linked?

3 Likes

Hey @ben.tomlin,

Along with using the Reference attribute as @infinity.justs suggested, the other workaround I use is the Links attribute as a way to include items from boards outside of the board I’m working in. Since Reference doesn’t work across boards, Links is the most effective way I’ve found to combine essential items that are spread across Infinity into one place. With it you can link to the url of folders or specific items from other boards.

3 Likes

Welcome @ben.tomlin

And thanks all for helping out!!! I really appreciate that.

Yes, the plan is to do our best to find our way to link or combine the data from different boards or even workspaces.

We’re not sure about the right way to do that, maybe it will be with Reference attribute, maybe it’ll be with a universal dashboard to combine all the data and then apply traditional methods such as filter, etc.

I believe we’ll work on this toward the end of Q1 and Q2. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We would really like this as well. Our team and I trying to explore the tool after our purchase. Especially at a possibility to backreference a task/item to a task on another board at least in the same Workspace? For our use-case we are unable to manage the same given task in the same board.

We are only able to backreference to an item in the same board (different folder) to manage our dependencies. Our team however is looking to have the same item referenced in multiple boards without trying to duplicate. In other words, the same tasks/items associated with multiple boards.

I completely understand this is a feature tough to crack for your dev team but this feature will actually reduce a lot of repeat work for us of creating duplicate tasks or referencing/linking each time, esp. since we plan to keep different boards for huddle and project.

1 Like

True, linking items between workspaces seems like an overkill given the current state of Infinity, but Linking items between boards (within the same workspace) feels like a reasonable thing to be able to do now

3 Likes

Any news on this? This is very important!! At least linking between boards…

2 Likes

Hello @igor, I’m afraid there are no news regarding this topic. At the moment, Infinity’s boards are separate entities, they can’t ‘communicate’. So, that’s why linking between them is not possible for now.

As we work towards Workspace Overview in the future, we will have to find a way to merge boards’ data together which will open possibilities for linking, seeing all data in one place, etc. But for that to happen we will probably have to make some major changes to the logic and design of the app. It will be a major challenge for our designers and devs and it will take a lot of time. This is why this functionality is still on the backburner for now.