See all tasks assigned to a user across all boards and workspaces

Besides the other great examples posted, the Asana “My Tasks” example @joseph posted has a few features that are excellent for a “List View” format of all tasks assigned to a user across boards and workspaces:

~ Collapsible “Standard Views” of Today, Upcoming and Later - Those of us who are visual really appreciate this. Being able to remove specific sections from the view mitigates the sense of feeling overwhelmed by a list with hundreds of tasks. Removing items from the visual field that don’t require our immediate focus helps us “visuals” see and think more clearly about what needs attending to.

~ Automatically arrange items into sections by filtered due date - In the example video, the presenter refers to her concern that Asana doesn’t do this (Asana’s dragging and dropping as the only way to rearrange a list of hundreds of items is tedious and time consuming). I would love if Infinity would include the arrange items filtered by due date feature in their implementation, along with dragging and dropping that includes when dragging an item to “Today” its due date automatically changes to today.

~ Include the ability for users to create and name custom sections within the list that augment the “Standard Views” of Today, Upcoming and Later - So we could also break it up anywhere into preferred sections; here the user-created sectioning of the list could either be separate from the “Standard Views” or within the lists “Standard Views”.

I suppose the developers could incorporate these features into a viewing format other than “List View”, so having them included in whichever viewing format they create would be helpful.

Is it possible that - in the spirit of Infinity boards’ data multiple layout view - the developers can create a multiple layout view of “See all tasks assigned to a user across boards and workspaces”? Perhaps it’s too complicated to do, but being able to see different views of this all-important data is a nice thought, and if they did it well, it would surely put Infinity more apart from the pack.

4 Likes

@joseph, @chrish hey guys!

Woah! Amazing. I like your ‘case studies’ very much. I dare to call them like that, since those are really good suggestions.

I won’t try to play it too smart, I’ve already taken a screenshot and forwarded the video to our dev team.

I’m inviting our CTO @damir89 to join the conversation :slight_smile:

Cheers!

2 Likes

If I can add my 2 cents here, I think that seeing all tasks assigned to my should be limited to only one workspace. I understand that LTD members who have multiple workspaces could be tempted to divide their life into many workspaces and seeing all tasks across all workspaces could seem advantageous but I think that in real life it’s not only unnecessary but also too distracting. What do I have in mind?

Workspaces are meant to contain whole organization or at least a department. So if you run 2 companies you don’t need to see all tasks from both companies. Or If you are a managing director and there are 3 departments in your company (and each is a separate workspace) then at any given time you are interest in one department only. Seeing your tasks from another department or another company may give you too much information noise and lead to cognitive exhaustion.

If you have other comments or if you’ve noticed I’m missing something, please feel free to add your thoughts and ideas.

8 Likes

@man I agree with you!

@man I strongly agree.

I strongly disagree with the perspective shared by @man and for my use case I would definitely need this feature to work across multiple workspaces. Obviously, we do not share the same workflow, style, or requirements.

I understand that some people can be overwhelmed by having too much information. I am not one of those people.

The whole point of my request was to gain a dashboard where I can see everything that I have going on across my multiple roles. From there, I can decide where to drill down and focus. There really is no point in building this feature if it is limited to a single workspace. That is basically the situation we have today. If you are only concerned with seeing assigned tasks in a single workspace/role, you can probably achieve that via search or a simple filter. The point of this feature request is gaining a high-level, global view that cannot be easily accomplished via search.

I already have to jump around between my various roles and companies to try and figure out where my priorities lie each day. Limiting the aggregated view to a single workspace would leave me in the same predicament as I am in today.

The solution, it seems, is to build the aggregated view feature and allow each user to select between individual or multiple workstation aggregation. In this way, both types of users’ needs are respected and met.

7 Likes

I think the point @infinity.justs put forth is critical. I agree with the solution as he articulated it.

2 Likes

Personally I feel like this should be implemented as simply another view that can be setup with pretty much the same options as views done inside a board, but then aggregating multiple or specific boards. (Like the global views we can create top-level).

This way everyone can be happy by the community simply sharing view filters.
The assigned-to-you view is nothing more than a filter on X labels that refer to you as a member.

Personally I use Infinity now as a project planning setup, and with such a global view I could see the amount of work left on all projects easily and aggregate it into cost planning.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, for the time being the solution I’d like to see is simply an aggregation of tasks that are soon due/due today/overdue in the whole workspace because I don’t want any tasks to slip through the cracks. A simple list with links would suffice.

Of course , Infinity is a team collaboration software, so it can be developed further:

• a team member sees only tasks (due soon/due today/overdue) assigned to him/her
  • a board owner sees all tasks (due soon/due today/overdue) in his/her board + assigned to him from other boards
  • a workspace member sees everything in the workspace: task that are due soon/due today/overdue

And as @stefan pointed out in the this thread replicating everything in the dashboard would be unreadable and performance-demanding. For me, a simple list with links would be okay and later the team can add/change the features.

1 Like

I think this suggestion by @man is a good start. It seems like it’s not to complicated to implement as a starting point for this oh-so-necessary feature.

For inspiration, here is another solid app with a very good global tasks overview. Project.co

1 Like

Amen to this one. Configurability for the win.

2 Likes

I think this is absolutely needed to work with teams with more than 5 or 6 members.
Maybe, a solution could be the creation of the concept of “Current user” and including this user in assignees list. Then, we can create a filter as Asignee = Current User, and each user see his own items when show that filter, for example in the Board Overview by default.

2 Likes

@jose I think the idea of your concept “current user” is great. Hope the team will integrate it soon.

@jose and @micck
See Here and Here for more requests regarding this feature.
The Community forum has started getting big enough that there are a lot of forgotten requests from early on, and a lot of repeat requests for what seem to be the most valuable functionality to the community.

@coa I believe there is going to be a new roadmap board to improve visibility/progress of requested functionality, is that right?

2 Likes

Thanks, guys!

That is correct, we’re preparing a new public board in which we’ll give updates about everything we’re working on, all your suggestions, etc. (waiting for ‘Vote’ attribute).

As we’ve mentioned in the last update, our team is having a last working day for this year, and will be on a vacation until Jan 8. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have a great break. You deserve it. Then come back full of energy and make Infinity even more awesome than it already is :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you very much @paulsmithson!

2020 is going to be a great year, I promise. :slight_smile:

We’ll grow faster, improve our product faster and make your suggestions come true much more, as time passes and each year comes.

Cheers! Happy New Year.

2 Likes

Totally agree. This feature is also essential for me.

3 Likes

This is also essential for me.

2 Likes